Talented pastry chef behind Coastal Coffee Club @Gaya Street.


Photo taken from Coastal Coffee Club FB. 

I have been wanting to go to Coastal Coffee Club at Gaya Street when a barista acquaintance kept on posting about the cafe in his Instagram. I thought the coffee must be good if he goes there often.


Finally, I had an assignment at Gaya Street and I knew I had to try its coffee.


I sat and filed my news story, which took about 40 minutes, thrn only drank my cappuccino.

As you can see above, latte art is still intact after so long. It indicates that barista skill is up to standard. The taste is good also.


Although my focus is usually for the coffee, but the cake gives long lasting impression in terms of taste and presentation.

It is the kind of dessert that I have been looking for. The sweetness is minimal but just nice, smooth texture, and no overdosing of colorings. Look at the presentation of cream "naturally" flows down with sprinkles of chopped strawberries on it...

I am lucky that the owner cum pastry chef is willing to share some insights about her cake creations.

"Actually, I always try to change different taste of cake every day because it is abit boring if everyday the cake is the same.

"And Yes, we always freshly made everyday. So there is limited piece for serving. Also to ensure freshness, we won’t make too many types of cake to avoid the cake left over too many days," she replied in Instagram chatbox.

The Club's best selling cakes are lemon
lemon burnt cheesecake, chocolate cake, matcha, Tiramisu and strawberry Cheesecake.

Below are the cake pictures taken from its FB page.








Her creations are indeed different than the cakes usually found at other places in Kota Kinabalu. I assumed that she could have learn her skill from overseas perhaps Paris?

But she humbly replied it is more to self-thought and interest in this field.

"I am cake lover too, So the creative cakes are made when idea comes 😆"


Comments